Nowadays, there are some choreographers
like to work with a plenty of movements. There is nothing wrong in that
occasion because performing arts work is about creating our own identity,
characteristic, or sometimes habit. From my observation, some established, huge
names or companies in the dance world were also had their own 'habit', they
create choreographies with similar elements. Look at Alvin Ailey, Merce
Cunningham, Martha Graham, and others. However, it is still a long journey for
the young emerging artist to achieve that level. What should we do? One of them
is watching examples from Youtube. But some people are too dependent and
misunderstood what is learning or stealing from example. Nevertheless, stealing
is totally fine if the choreographer is intelligent enough to make some
improvements until the audience could not realise between the original piece in
the Youtube and the new made piece. How to do this really? From my experience,
the situation is the same on how to investigate a movement. As my course
director of M.A Contemporary Dance Performance Mary Nunan said, "You can
do develope, but do not do it like you did in a ballet class. There are many
things you could explore, the tempo, the movement's flow, the shape
maybe". And we should question ourself, do we really need the develope, is
the hinge would make our piece better, or does 'beautiful' proper shape is
important? Who told us 'beautiful' shape will make us a creative choreographer.
Think out of a box, well-known choreographers like Cunningham took risk to blow
his creativity. Are we afraid, or we do not know what to do? Mary Nunan said
terms (not sure where she got it) traditional modern dance to clarify the modern dance
era in United States in our discussion. In my opinion and observation, a choreography
that has obvious modern dance or ballet movements like hinge, piruoette,
grandbattement, grand jete, and others could be categorized as modern
traditional dance. Anyhow, it reminds me to the process of
my M.A's final project. In my feedback session, one of useful feedbacks I got
was that I have to avoid usual way of pas de deux male and female which is the male dancer will
be the supporter to the female dancer. Thus, one of options to avoid generic
movement is try to break the usual way; think out of the box in every aspect of
the creative process. Ultimately, the choice is depends to the choreographer.
People has their own choice if they want to follow the development of the
dance's world or just create they work with their own way, there is nothing
wrong with it really.
In creating work, we could explore 2
areas, one is the part that has narrative where tend to relates with stories,
imageries, or situation. The other part is investigation and exploration of the
movement itself (some people call it abstract or pure movement section). Interesting enough these two aspects are overlapping and not
isolated (polarized). Thus, there is a movement in narrative part, and there is
movement that really has no connection with any story or situation but the
audience thought the movement is narrative content. In my opinion, it is good to
read and use the tools or methods that we got from choreography books, however
it will make the creative process 'by the book' situation. Therefore, it is
good to go and join workshops because it will give us many interesting tools
(perhaps not always), some more what I personally like is it would give me a
lot of possibilities that blow my mind and trigger my creativity. But, I am not
saying that we should turn back all those methods in the books. I am totally
agreed and appreciated all the knowledge in those books. I am sure there are
many other ways to improve our creativity. Last year, I joined Step Up program
and I worked professionally with Fabulous Beast Dance Theatre for five weeks. The
choreographer did not know what to create, but he did workshops for four weeks
and just started creating choreography in week five. Ultimately, the
choreographer wants us the participants get his style of movement from the
workshop. I felt the process was interesting because he did not teach the step for us to
get the style in conventional way; students/dancers follow instructor front of
the mirror. In that workshop, we follow his dancers in a circle and eventually
we understand how they move from imitation like the indigenous people dancing
in the jungle. More interesting because he did not told us his real intention during
the workshop, just simple and direct instruction only. Besides, there are many interesting things happened during the
improvisation workshop that most of them based on theatre exercises. When I ask
him, "What is this exercise for, is it from dance or theatre?" Then
he said, "I do not know, but the exercise good for performer and I just
created the exercise myself". I was shocked. Now I realise we can create
or develop exercises our own as long as it is relevant and make sense.
It is extremely hard to create one hour
of piece with only movement as the material. It would be silence, heavy, and
might be dull (depends on situation). So, how to overcome this situation? Did
you had any experience felt so tired while watching choreography although it
has 'beautiful' movement and performed by excellent performers? In some
occasion, the audience needs some 'rest'. What does 'rest' means? Besides
movement, sometimes voice, expression, videos, singing, and text could give the
audience moment of 'release' from watching heavy presentation. The same
situation we could apply it for piece that really tense and full of narrative
content. From my own experience, one of Ireland's pioneers choreographers John
Scott said, "The reason I put the movements in that diagonal and repeat
several times is to give the audience 'rest', because the other parts was so
tense and strained". Yet, in a piece called 'Bow' from Korean University
of Arts in Tari Festival 2014, it has a section that full of repetitive
movements. But, I personally did not feel bored while watching that section
because the choreographer capable to recurr movement motive and made the
performer get the extraordinary quality in a very depth level (I assumed the movement has release technique/quality). The quality of
the movement made me did not realised it was a really long movement sequence.
For me, the choreography is stick with the pathway or direction because the
movement is compact (not too many movements) and attached by the motive.
Somehow, some choreographers just throw out movement but do not put attention
to the movement motive as the main key.
Tiada ulasan:
Catat Ulasan